Mon/Wed/Fri after 6PM
EducationUC Berkeley Junior
ExperienceTest Scores: SAT, 2280 (Reading: 780, Writing: 770, Math: 730); ACT, 33 (Reading: 36, Math: 35, English: 33); AP US History, 5; AP Calculus BC, 5; AP Government, 5; AP English Literature, 5; AP Bio, 4; AP French, 4; AP Macroeconomics, 3.
My passion for learning began with the countless hours I spent reading as a child. I was lucky to have family and educators who pushed me to read, and a neighborhood public library with enough books to provoke my curiosity for the people, places, and facts still unknown to me. My interest in modern political and social issues, as well as with argumentation and persuasion, was fostered through my participation in high school debate, an activity I enjoyed tremendously and experienced success with. Since attending U.C. Berkeley, my curiosity has only grown. I am in my third year at UC Berkeley, where I’m studying Sociology, and simultaneously pursuing my interests in languages, history, and political economic theory through a wide range of classes. Very recently, I have moved to the Washington, D.C. area to soak up the vibrant historical, artistic, and political culture of the city. Here, I am taking classes, and also interning at a respected public policy research and advocacy organization. I’m excited for the chance to learn with you and your child!
Creating and working with engaged, motivated, and curious learners is my passion! Learning can be very exciting, and I try to show this to my students, no matter what subject I am tutoring them in. I firmly believe that overcoming academic obstacles is all about the attitude the student and the tutor brings to the learning process. I bring with me positive energy, and I expect my students to do the same! Furthermore, I credit much of my success to my discipline and proactivity- these are habits I stress in my learning and that of my students. Together, we can achieve your goals, both short-term and long-term.
While I feel comfortable tutoring most subjects, my strengths are in reading and writing, elementary to intermediate math, test preparation, and study skills. I have worked with elementary school students as a literacy tutor, middle school students as an after-school program leader, high school students for SAT test preparation through private tutoring, and U.C. Berkeley students as a writing tutor. My style is friendly and casual, and I am above all, attentive to the needs of the student.
In my free time, I enjoy reading (of course), watching quality documentaries, trying out new restaurants, and relaxing at the park or the beach on a sunny day. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have.
UC Berkeley Residential and Student Service Program Berkeley, CA
January 2014- December 2014
• Critically analyzed and edited undergraduate and graduate-level essays in the sciences, the social sciences, and the humanities.
• Assisted students in synthesizing complex literary, historical, and scientific evidence to form persuasive and concise arguments.
• Taught students how to research using online library resources and databases like LexisNexis, JSTOR, and Google Scholar.
The Partners Program
Bonner Foundation Intern/ Site Leader August 2013- May 2014
• Coached and managed a team of 10 high school tutors through trainings, meetings, and email and phone communication.
• Prepared and executed weekly lesson plans for after-school programs serving more than 20 at-risk middle school youth.
• Mentored and coached individual students on behavior management and academic planning to improve overall performance.
Bears United in Literacy Development Berkeley, CA
Literacy Tutor September 2012- May 2013
• Provide one-on-one literacy tutoring and assistance with homework to 3 elementary school students for 4 hours each week.
• Formulate weekly lessons to improve reading fluency, accuracy, and comprehension.
• Plan and run activities for the Literacy Nights at the Bay Area Hispano Institute for Advancement (BAHIA).
Presentation High School San Jose, CA
French Camp Teacher May 2009 – April 2012
• Individually conducted a weekly one and a half hour class, designed to introduce students to the French language and culture.
• Developed lesson plans and personalized games and activities to incentivize participation and promote fun atmosphere.
• Created and completed learning goals for the 20 students, with guidance from French teacher.
Conville Family San Jose, CA
Caregiver May 2011- June 2012
• Responsible for two boys, ages nine and twelve, and tracked and communicated daily progress and activities to parents.
• Specific duties: behavior management, ensuring completion of homework, and transportation to extra-curricular activities.
HobbiesInterests: Movies and music, spending time outdoors, travelling, and trying out new kinds of food!
1st Grade math, 2nd Grade math, 3rd Grade math, 4th Grade math, 5th Grade math, 6th Grade math, 7th Grade math, 8th Grade math, 9th Grade math, Algebra 1, Elementary Math, Pre-Algebra, , English, ACT, ACT with Writing, Advanced Placement, PSAT, PSAT Critical Reading, PSAT Mathematics, PSAT Writing Skills, SAT, SAT Subject Tests, AP US Government, AP US History, Art History, AP U.S. Government & Politics, Study Skills, Writing, Organization, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, Sociology
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.